Stay tuned, June meeting info coming soon!
Joe Welinske Webinar
TOUCH, VOICE AND GESTURES:
For those who missed it, have no fear, click here!
How to Craft Your User Assistance to Accommodate a Variety of Interaction Types.
Letter from the President
Opportunities to advance your career abound with participation in your local STC chapter. If you are a new college graduate searching for a fulfilling career, someone who wants to transition to a career in technical communication, or a seasoned technical communicator, there are many benefits to involvement in your local STC chapter.
Here are the top five reasons that I’m involved in my STC Sacramento chapter:
- Education. Knowledge IS power. Technology and processes are constantly evolving. STC Sacramento is dedicated to ensuring that you have the knowledge and skills to succeed in the field. Our monthly meetings present internationally known speakers on the current trends in the field of technical communication. Every meeting I have attended has provided me with at least one great idea that I use immediately on my projects.
- Personal enrichment. Gain leadership skills or practical experience managing a web site, writing newsletter articles, or promoting the chapter through social media. The STC Sacramento chapter provides an encouraging environment for you to add experience to your resume. For example, a gentleman who was a new graduate in English from UC Davis was the STC Sacramento web master for one year. His redesign of our web site was the catalyst for launching his professional career.
- Networking. Expand your professional and social network. In-person networking is as important as online networking. The Harvard Business Review surveyed their subscribers on the impact of in-person meetings. They found that meeting someone face-to-face was the most important factor to building long-term relationships. The person you meet at our meeting may be your ticket to a new job or may know the solution to a work problem you have been struggling with.
- Mentoring. Pair up with an active member of STC Sacramento. We are technical writers, editors, content developers, web designers, instructional designers, translators and documentation specialists and are all passionate about what we do. We work as contractors, full-time salaried and part-time employees in high-tech, government, banking, biotech, insurance, and pharmaceuticals and think our role as communicators is the most important role in our companies. We offer informational interviews and portfolio review. Our goal is to ensure the success of all people in the field through advising and advocacy.
- Community. Be part of the largest organization dedicated to the field of technical communication. Choosing a membership in the national STC organization offers:
- discounts on educational webinars
- access to the STC Body of Knowledge
- advanced access to job postings in the STC Job Bank
- on-line access to STC publications
- access to the STC Salary Database
I joined STC when I was between jobs many years ago and became actively involved in the Sacramento chapter as a volunteer for the STC Summit in 2011. I find my membership in STC to be invaluable both professionally and on a personal level.
STC advances the theory and practice of technical communication across all user abilities and media so that both businesses and customers benefit from safe, appropriate, and effective use of products, information, and services.
Thank you to our sponsors: